The film industry celebrates the best of the year by awarding gold statues, so it's only fitting that the foodservice industry salutes excellence with Gold and Silver Plates. Today IFMA announced the recipients of the 2013 Silver Plate Awards, which recognizes excellence in eight segments of foodservice operations. From among the winners, one will be named the 2013 IFMA Gold Plate Award winner at the 59th Annual Gold & Silver Plate Celebration, May 20, 2013 in Chicago.
Long considered the most coveted operator awards in the foodservice industry, IFMA Gold and Silver Plates have been awarded to such legendary operators as Dave Thomas of Wendy's ('79), Ralph Brennan ('97), Steve Ells of Chipotle ('03) and most recently to Mary Molt of Kansas State University ('12). This year's awards celebration is hosted by Gold Plate recipient Ted Balestreri, Chairman & CEO, Cannery Row Company ('84).
"We are honored to announce this year's class of Silver Plate recipients," said Larry Oberkfell, President & CEO, IFMA. "The awards allow us to pay tribute to these outstanding individuals whose contributions advance their individual segments and the foodservice industry as a whole."
A distinguished jury, including national trade press editors, foodservice experts, past award winners and the chairperson of the International Gold & Silver Plate Society, weigh the merits of hundreds of candidates nominated by IFMA Members. From among the eight IFMA Silver Plate winners, one is chosen to receive the industry's most coveted recognition, the IFMA Gold Plate. The jury's secret ballot is kept confidential until the Gold & Silver Plate Celebration when the Gold Plate winner is announced for the first time.
The 2013 Silver Plate winners are:
- Independent Restaurants/Multi-Concept: John Metz, CEO, Executive Chef and Co-Founder, Sterling Hospitality (nominated by The Coca-Cola Company and Ecolab)
- Chain Full Service/Multi-Concept: Harald Herrmann, President, Yard House Restaurants (nominated by The Yard House)
- Chain Limited Service: Don Fox, CEO, Firehouse Subs (nominated by The Coca-Cola Company)
- Health Care: Angelo Mojica, Director of Nutrition & Services/Associate Professor, UNC Hospitals/UNC Gillings School of Global Health (nominated by Basic American Foods and Schwan's Food Service)
- Elementary & Secondary Schools: Julia Bauscher, Director, School & Community Nutrition Services, Jefferson County Public Schools (nominated by Basic American Foods and Schwan's Food Service)
- Colleges & Universities: Ken Toong, Executive Director, Auxiliary Enterprises, University of Massachusetts Amherst (nominated by Basic American Foods, Ecolab, McCormick & Company and TW Garner Food Company)
- Business & Industry/Foodservice Management: Jay Silverstein, Vice President, Conference & Dining Services, Credit Suisse (nominated by Basic American Foods)
- Hotels & Lodging: James Purdum, General Manager, Hospitality Services, Penn State University (nominated by Hobart, Basic American Foods and Geisinger Health System)
The 59th annual Gold & Silver Plate Awards Celebration is May 20, 2013 at the Great Hall at Union Station in Chicago. The Celebration draws hundreds of leading foodservice executives from the supplier and operator communities and features a pre-dinner wine tasting, gourmet meal and exciting after-party.
Tickets are now available! Click here to purchase individual tickets or tables for your organization and customers.
2012 Gold Plate Award winner Mary Molt, along with Larry Oberkfell of IFMA and Mark Bendix of East Balt Bakeries, graced a billboard in Times Square.