How has the
internship enabled you?
My internship with IFMA has been an opportunity of a lifetime. I feel grateful to have had the resources available provided by the IFMA Educational Foundation and the chance to have met so many of the Foodservice Industry's most influential leaders. I feel hopeful for the experiences and endeavors to come in the future as I take the next big leap. I plan to pursue a career in this industry after graduation in the spring of next year. I have gained knowledge from every one of whom I have come into contact with, IFMA staff and its members.
What are 5
programs or projects you participated in during your
- Foodservice Fundamentals Fast Track, presented by IFMA, Datassential and The NDP Group, consisted of bringing together individuals represented by a company who were interested in familiarizing themselves with a common language that is used throughout the Foodservice Industry. For myself, Foodservice Fundamentals provided me with an essential vocabulary and terminology to use not only for my IFMA internship but also to set me up to thrive in the industry in the future.
- Foodservice Category Management, hosted by IFMA and partnered with The Partnering Group (TPG), was a training session that I looked forward to. Throughout my internship, the concept of Category Management training was a fairly new concept in the industry and something I wanted to learn more about.
- IFMA Manufacturer/Associate Membership Database. My project was to contact and mail current on-file records to current IFMA members and their companies. I was responsible for updating records in the database system; this gave me the chance to learn how to use the database (iMIS) but also to familiarize myself with a diverse range of companies and individuals in the foodservice industry.
- Communications & Social Media. I worked with IFMA's social media platform to engage on-site activity at Marketing & Sales Leadership Forum (MSLF14) via Twitter and Flickr, in addition to publishing a variety of articles on the IFMA website through the internal CRM system, Umbraco.
- Marketing Support. Assisted the Marketing Department with the organization and archiving of the IFMA Photo Library. This was a great project to learn a little bit of IFMA's history and legacy in foodservice and how it has progressively grown in membership since the association was established in 1952.
My very first internship in foodservice was at a resort and restaurant located in Harbor Country on Lake Michigan. I was an Assistant Manager of Special Events and worked in the restaurant as well. It was neat to see the opposite side from an operator's perspective. I learned a lot about the operations of a hotel and restaurant.
What is your
I love anything grilled - especially chicken, shrimp, scallops and vegetable shish kabobs (reminds me of summer)!
About the IFMA Educational Foundation
The IFMA Educational Foundation promotes the next generation of foodservice leaders. The Foundation is committed to give qualified culinary, marketing, or food science students support toward completion of education requirements. Over the years, we've accomplished our goal by providing scholarships, publications, educational programs, internships and stipends to accredited institutions and individuals enrolled in accredited institutions.
Do you want to support the next generation of foodservice by making a donation to IFMA's Educational Foundation? Contact us at email@example.com.